Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Show & Tell Tuesday: Favorite Vacation





I would probably say my favorite vacation was a spur of the moment trip my husband and I took to Hawaii a few years back. 

Now, I am NOT a spontaneous person.  At all.  
I make lists, just to check things off.  I actually put 'make a list' on my list.  That way I can have something accomplished as soon as I finish my list!

But, somehow, someway, my husband and I took the PERFECT vacation with about 48 hours notice.

I was teaching summer school, working with 7th and 8th graders in math.  My teacher partner was also teaching math, and he was taking his bride on a 30th wedding anniversary trip the following week.  #jealous

Somehow, my fingers typed in 'airline tickets' that night when I got home, and low and behold.... round trip tickets for $210 each.  SCORE. I emailed a friend who lives there and asked if we could come visit... next week.  She said yes, so the tickets were purchased and my panic set in almost immediately.  I don't do things like this.  How did this happen?

And then reality set in.  

A few days later I called to check in about when we would arrive, and she informed me that we could no longer stay at her house.  Uh-oh.  This kind of ruined my super cheap trip.  

Enter: my Mom.  She quickly called some family friends who lived in our old neighborhood and asked if we could stay there.  Thankfully they said yes, and the crisis was averted. 

As someone who literally packs WEEKS before a trip, here I am a few hours before we have to leave for the airport trying to figure out what to pack.   

Summer school ended, and the next day we got up at the crack of dawn and headed to the airport.  Was this really happening?!?!?!


And then another bump in the road.

"We regret to inform you, but your plane has been delayed until noon."  Couldn't they have told me that at 1AM when I was rolling out of my comfy bed? 
And then it was delayed until 5PM.  And then 10PM.  

We were supposed to already be there!  We were supposed to be enjoying drinks on the beach and getting some much needed sun on our faces before the start of another busy school year.  
But there we sat.  
In the airport.
They gave us food credit which we used to its full potential.  We also bought magazines, pillows, random chocolate, game books, and anything else to keep our minds off the fact that we were now MISSING OUR VACATION.  

We bought these so we could sleep.


I hadn't anticipated being COLD, so yes.  This happened.  #ihadbeenintheairportfor24hoursandwasgoingcrazy


This was NOT supposed to be our view for a whole day.  

Finally, at 1AM THE NEXT DAY, we boarded a new plane and took off to Hawaii.  
And it was the BEST vacation. 

No plans, no schedule.  Just the two of us for 10 days.  
We kept with the spontaneous theme and just...enjoyed.  

 We splurged for a convertible.  It was a much needed gift to ourselves.  And only 7 dollars more a day :)

 Island Snow.  The BEST shaved ice.



Hanauma Bay for a day full of snorkling.


Visited my old neighborhood and swam in our old pool!  I grew up here and learned to swim...so many memories!




 Beach life.  Exactly what we needed.



We ate a LOT.... and couldn't miss eating Hula Pie from Duke's.  Seriously.  The. Best. 










 It was by far the most spontaneous thing we have ever done.




Love the memories made!

No comments:

Post a Comment